Friday, March 29, 2013

Just another chapter in a book called life....

Well, I've managed to let another 3 months go by without updating you all.  It my defense these last months have been a whirlwind of doctor appointments and hospital stays.

It all began a few days after Christmas when I get the results of my CT Scan that I'd had a few days before Christmas.  I know I noted this in my last post, but I'm just refreshing your memories.  My apologies if I repeat some stuff that you already know.  I started radiation a week later and completed 15 treatments.  The pain I was beginning to have was unbearable.  It hurt to take a breath, to sneeze, pretty much doing anything hurt.  Finally the pain became bad enough that my doctor admitted my to the hospital for 5 days to find out exactly what needed to happen to get this pain under control.  At this point, I only had 2 radiation treatments left.  I was actually transported each time by ambulance to make sure they were completed.  We got the pain under control and I was sent home on a Friday.  Unfortunately I was sent home with a different kind of pain medication, severe dizziness an)d was back in the hospital on Monday with the fear that something might be going on in my brain.  Being in the hospital is exhausting!!!!  I seriously had the BEST nurses! 

So now we're in February.  I have the new port installed the Thursday after I was discharged the second time.  Then I started my new chemo plan that following Monday.  Apparently most people do OK with the chemo in terms of nausea and other stupid side effects.....but not me.  It seems like every side effect, I got.  It sucked.  So we did a couple rounds of that one and I noticed that I was starting to have some pretty bad paid again.  My doctor is on top of it and ordered a CT scan ASAP.  Well we found out last week that the chemo wasn't working and the radiation wasn't working either.  This tumor is so aggressive and it's sneaky.  Basically everything is growing and there are new lesions, including one small one on my liver.   The sternum lesion is growing and so is the one on my lungs plus there are new ones on my lungs.  So, I have to start another chemo plan.  Thank goodness I have a long list to work off of.  But we're pulling out the big guns this time.  So I started a new one yesterday.  It's called Clarotropin and Taxotere.  Unfortunately, they will make my hair fall out.  Dammit, and I was just getting used to having different hairstyles!!!  This regimen with my 3 weeks on, one week off.  It's gonna be rough.  My doctor even suggested that I quit my job -- that there'd be no way I could work with this treatment.  So I did. 

Anyway, that's my update for now.  Sorry, if this is all jumbled and doesn't flow, but I'm still under the effects from yesterday.  Please feel free to ask any questions on FB and I will do my best to answer them on FB.  We'll still trying to shield the kids as best we can when it comes to talking about it.

No comments: