Sunday, April 17, 2011

Eh, it's not so bad...

Have you ever cut your finger really bad and you knew when you did it that it was a pretty bad cut? The first thing you do is grab it and cover it up because you're too afraid to see how bad you really cut it, right? After a few seconds of squeezing it really tight, you take a peek to see how bad it is. Well, my surgery was on Monday and I still haven't taken a step back and looked to see what my chest looks like. So, after Bobby and the kids went to church this morning, I decided it was time. I was alone, so I didn't have to worry about the kids busting open the door to see what I was doing. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. No, they don't look 100% normal, but I don't look completely deformed either. But the best thing of all.... when I looked at myself I saw a woman that didn't have any cancer in her body anymore. For the last month, knowing that I had this awful sickness in my body gave me the worst feeling. I felt like I was defective and I was so angry that my body had betrayed me in such a way. I also received great news on Friday - pathology results were in and the lymph nodes that were removed were negative for cancer and the doctor was able to get clear margins by 1cm, which means she was able to get ALL the tumor out during surgery. That was a huge relief because that means I won't have to do radiation therapy. So what's next? Tomorrow I visit my plastic surgeon and she will remove 2 of the drains. I can't wait - they are such a pain in the butt! Until next time....

5 comments:

The Ferrel's said...

In the past almost 35 years, I've had many occasions to be very proud of you. But today, after having just read your most recent blog I'm especially proud .... You're an incredible woman!! What a privilege to say you're my daughter! I LOVE YOU!!

Unknown said...

Woo-Hoo! What great news on the pathology reports! We gave thanks for you and your good reports in worship today!

LooseeLuv said...

Hattie you writing is so candid my first thought was "she needs to write a book". The openess and willingness to share with us your experience is brave beyond anything I can imagine. I only hope that I could be as graceful if faced with such an obstacle. Your words are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing with us your experience. All my love to you and your beauiful family. Xxoo Stacie

Unknown said...

You are a riot and a patriot for all those women fighting cancer. You've taken the fear right out of the word with your strength, humor and candor. Stacie is right, take these words and write a book. You'll be an inspiration to millions. Love you lots, see you Saturday

Dorothea said...

So glad to hear such great news that all the yuckies are gone. You've got the right attitude: positive and upbeat ~ keep it up! luv, D